Outlaw Hotels and the Housing Crisis
- MoreBnB: Short term letting and the London Housing Crisis
- A report by London Assemblyman Tom Copley into the impacts of short term letting on the housing market in London. Report argues, first and foremost, that local councils in the UK need the power to control short term letting in their jurisdictions
- Indigo House: Scoping Supply and Demand in the short term rental market
- Report by a government commissioned consultancy in Scotland into the impact of short term letting on Scottish housing supply and economy. According to the authors, the results suggest that "government intervention is required in areas of high tourist demand".
- The Impact of Short Term Lets on the Spanish Housing Market
- Hotel industry report on the impact of short term rental on the Spanish housing market, along with research into how it can be controlled
- Short Term Cities: Airbnb's impact on the Canadian Housing Market
- One of the most sophisticated studies into the impact of short term lets on housing prices, finding that it can add hundreds of dollars to the annual cost of renting an apartment
- Airification: The Impact of Airbnb on the Italian Housing Market
- An ongoing research project emerging from the University of Siena into the Airification of cities. Among the many interesting findings emerging from this project, they've found that the benefits of AirBnB largely go to a "disproportionately small number of users".
- The Growth of Commercial Short Term Rental: How Boston can Protect Housing Affordability and Qaulity of Life
- Investigation into the impact of AirBnB in Boston
- London: Is AirBnB becoming the new Buy-to-Let
- Study by the Residential Landlords Association into the significant distortions short term letting creates in the London property market
Outlaw Hotels and Government Regulation
- UnfairBnB: How Airbnb uses the EU to defeat cities' affordable housing measures
- A serious investigation into how AirBnB has spent millions of euros lobbying the European Commission and Parliament to prevent fair and equitable laws on home sharing
- Edinburgh Conference: How to Regulate the AirBnB Phenomenon
- Summary of conference held in Edinburgh, Scotland, by the Cockburn Association (the countries oldest amenity association) on short term rentals, with a strong statement on the "imperative need to regulate" this rapidly growing industry
The Business of Outlaw Hotels
- Morningstar-Pitchbook Airbnb valuation
- The other side of AirBnB - Commercialisation of the Sharing Economy
- One of the earliest statistical reports investigating the growing commercialisation of AirBnB and the private short term letting industry in the US. Using data torn from AirBnB's website, they found that in some cities over 60% of AirBnB's revenue could come from outlaw hotels
- Evaluation of the Law for home sharing
- A report prepared by the French government on the short term rental industry, and its most important player AirBnB, in France. It argues that up to 80% of AirBnB's revenue in France could come from commercial operators, rather than true home sharers (in French).
- Racial Discrimination in the Sharing Economy
- The original study into racial discrimination in the sharing economy, finding that African-American AirBnB users are more likely to be rejected by hosts - which would be illegal in a normal hotel. Many other studies have replicated these findings.
Outlaw Hotels and the Tax system
- The Financial Times - "Airbnb's edge on room prices comes from tax advantages"
- An insightful analysis into the substantial tax benefits enjoyed by AirBnB in the UK from the world's foremost financial journal
- AirBnB Agreements with State and Local Tax Authorities: A Formula For Undermining, Fairness, Transparency and the Rule of Law
- A review of the twelve tax collection agreement between the local governments in the US and AirBnB, the author (a respected tax expert) concludes with a call for reform to end these secretive agreements